This historic mill is located on the Great Works River, a central landmark in North Berwick. The existing building was built in 1861 and manufactured uniforms and blankets for Union soldiers during the American Civil War. The mill closed in 1955 and remained mostly unused for nearly 40 years.
The four interconnected buildings were converted to forty-four units of elder housing. In the common room, one of the earliest steam engines in the United States was preserved; the only one of its kind to survive. This was the first property to be awarded a tax credit under the Maine State Historical Rehabilitation Credit Act of 2008.
Recipient of the Maine Preservation Honor Award.
Location: North Berwick, Maine
Number of Units: 44
Square Footage: 70,000